Skip to main content

Urbandale Car Accident Lawyer

If you or a loved one has been injured in a car crash in Urbandale, Ankeny, West Des Moines, or elsewhere in the Des Moines area, The Iowa Advocates can help you recover.

Meet room discussion between two attorneys

A Car Accident Attorney Can Help Your Case

After a car wreck, you may be worried about the future or unsure of what to do next. There are injuries to treat, vehicles to repair, and bills to pay. It’s easy to become overwhelmed or frustrated.
A personal injury attorney can take this stress off of your plate. The Advocates personal injury law firm is committed to assisting injured Iowans throughout their recovery. Our experienced lawyers will help you find excellent medical care, local repair shops for your car, and any other resources you may need.
Don’t take on your personal injury claim alone. Let The Iowa Advocates’ legal team look out for your best interests and fight to get your fair compensation, so you can focus on feeling better. Contact us today for a free initial consultation.

The Next Steps In Your Iowa Car Accident Case


Immediately after your accident, check for injuries

Hire Attorney

Contact The Advocates as soon as possible to begin the road to recovery


Seek medical treatment as soon as you can

Property Damage

Get the damage on your car assessed and fixed

Completed Treatment

Once you’ve completed treatment, your attorney will compile your medical records


Your Advocate will send a demand letter to the other party

Frequently Asked Questions

You will pay nothing out-of-pocket when you hire an Advocate.
Your initial consultation with us is always 100% free. There are never any upfront costs or hidden fees.
Our attorneys work on a contingency basis, which means that our attorney fees are calculated as a percentage of your settlement. We don’t get paid unless we win your case and you receive a settlement.
For more information on how settlements and payment work, please see our contingency fee information page.

Not every accident requires an attorney. However, if the accident resulted in injuries or significant property damage, it is a good idea to contact a lawyer. An experienced personal injury attorney can help you navigate the claims process, which can be lengthy and complex.
Your attorney will build your case, keep track of your medical records, negotiate with insurance companies, and represent you in court if necessary. Studies have shown that accident victims who hire a personal injury lawyer can receive settlements up to 3.5 times larger than if they settled on their own.

The best way to know if you have a case is to speak with an attorney. The Advocates offer free consultations—you can speak with a qualified legal team to understand what your case is worth without paying a dime. Once you have decided to hire an Advocate, we will investigate your accident to firmly establish liability.

Every personal injury case is different. There is no one-size-fits-all solution to accident claims. The length of the claims process will depend on the severity of your injuries, the willingness of the other party to settle, the court’s caseload, and more.
In general, personal injury cases can take anywhere from several months to a few years. It’s important to contact an attorney as soon as possible to get your case started. Each state has a statute of limitations for personal injury cases, after which you will lose your right of action.

When you hire The Advocates, we will begin investigating your accident immediately while you finish medical treatment. Once all evidence and medical records have been compiled, your attorney will send a demand letter to the other party’s insurance company. At this point, negotiations will begin.
In many cases, a settlement can be reached during negotiations. If the other party refuses to make a fair offer, you may choose to file a suit. In the litigation phase, your attorney will represent you in court in front of a judge, jury, and/or arbitrator.

A Team of Car Accident Professionals Assigned to Your Case 

For nearly 30 years, The Advocates have helped thousands of personal injury victims receive the compensation and care they deserve after their accidents, and we are prepared to do the same for you. 
We can help you:

  • Understand the claims process
  • Investigate your accident
  • Build your case
  • Negotiate with insurance adjusters

We only get paid if we win your case!

Talking to a Professional

Talk to a professional

Iowa Car Accident Statistics

Aerial View of the Des Moine Suburb of Urbandale, Iowa

Des Moines metro area statistics and information

  • More than 700,000 people live in the Des Moines metro area. 
  • Around 33,800 people live in the Polk County portion of Urbandale, while just over 11,700 live in the Dallas County part of the city.
  • Urbandale is the fourth-most populous city in the metro area, after Des Moines, West Des Moines, and Ankeny.
  • In the 10-year period from 2013 to 2022, Polk County saw an average of 29.6 traffic fatalities each year, the most of any county in the state of Iowa. Dallas County had an average of 6 fatalities per year during the same time period.
  • In 2022, the six-county metro area accounted for about 16% of all car accident fatalities in the state.

All statistics come from the Iowa Department of Transportation’s Statistics and Research Studies and the 2020 United States Census.

Common causes of car accidents

  • Distracted driving: Using cell phones, eating, drinking, applying makeup, and talking to passengers are all activities that can distract a driver and cause an accident.
  • Impaired driving: According to the Iowa Department of Public Safety, around 35% of Iowa’s fatal crashes in 2022 involved at least one impaired driver.
  • Failure to check blind spots: Many motorcycle accidents happen when the driver of a passenger vehicle fails to see the motorcycle.
  • Reckless driving: Tailgating, illegal passing, swerving, and speeding can all lead to devastating accidents.

Common car accident injuries 

After a car crash, many accident victims face catastrophic injuries. Even minor injuries, however, can be life-altering. Some common car accident injuries include:

  • Head injuries and traumatic brain injuries
  • Spinal cord injuries
  • Internal damage
  • Broken bones
  • Dislocated joints
  • Broken teeth
  • Muscle strains
  • Whiplash
  • Lacerations and bruising

Iowa Personal Injury Law FAQs

Man and woman filling an insurance car form after bad car crash

What should I do after a car accident in Urbandale?

Under Iowa law, any driver who knows or should have reasonably known that they have been involved in an accident that caused property damage, injury, or death must stop as close to the scene of the accident as is safe. 
The driver has a duty to render reasonable assistance (such as calling for medical attention) and exchange information with the other driver. Failure to remain at the scene may be considered a hit-and-run.
If you’ve been involved in a motor vehicle accident, be sure to do the following:

  • Move your car out of traffic (if possible).
  • Check for injuries and call 911 for serious injuries.
  • Call the police and have an officer dispatched to the scene to file a police report.
  • Exchange information with the other party.
  • Get contact information from any witnesses to the accident.
  • Seek medical care.
  • File a car accident claim with your own insurance company.
  • Consider contacting an auto accident attorney.

How do I know how much my personal injury case is worth?

Every personal injury case is different and must be judged on its own merits. There is no one-size-fits-all formula for calculating a settlement or potential damages.
As a general guideline, some common damages from car accidents include:

  • Medical bills
  • Lost wages, including loss of future earnings
  • Vehicle repairs
  • Non-economic damages, like pain and suffering
  • Funeral expenses (in the case of wrongful death)

The best way to know how much your potential case may be worth is to speak with an injury attorney. They will be able to more accurately assess your damages, explain your legal rights, and get started on your accident lawsuit. Contact The Advocates for a free consultation today.

Insurance agent writing on clipboard while examining car after accident claim being assessed and processed

How is liability assigned for car accidents in Urbandale?

Iowa follows the modified comparative negligence rule. This means that more than one party can be found at-fault. Fault will be assigned as a percentage (for example, one party may be assigned 85% fault while the other party is assigned 15% of the blame). 
An injured person can seek compensation for their damages as long as they are not assigned more than 50% of the fault for the accident.
If you are found partially responsible for the accident, any settlement you receive will be reduced according to the percentage of blame assigned to you.

How long do I have to file an accident claim?

Every injury case is subject to a time limit for filing. This is referred to as the statute of limitations.
In Iowa, the statute of limitations for car accident cases is generally two years. There are several factors that can impact this time frame, so it’s a good idea to speak with a personal injury lawyer to determine how long you have to file.

Statute of limitations (SOL) on a court desk.

When Should I Hire an Urbandale Car Accident Attorney?

Whether you were involved in a car crash, truck accident, or other kind of motor vehicle accident, you deserve compensation from the at-fault party. The Iowa Advocates have years of experience helping our injured clients recover and get their lives back on track.

Serving Urbandale, Des Moines, Council Bluffs, and the rest of Iowa, The Advocates are ready to help you. Contact our law office today for a free initial consultation. You deserve sound legal advice, fierce representation, and compassionate communication. You deserve an Advocate.


By clicking the button below, I consent to giving my information to The Advocates Injury Attorneys and agree to all privacy policies that are included on this page. I agree to receive SMS/text messages. Message and data rates may apply. You may unsubscribe from these communications at any time.