A Dog Bite Injury Attorney Can Help Your Case
Dog bites can cause serious damage to the victim in the forms of physical injuries, emotional trauma, and financial damages from medical bills. After being bitten, it is normal to feel stressed, angry, or worried about the future.
The Advocates’ personal injury attorneys have been representing dog bite victims for nearly three decades, and we are ready to help you too. We understand the difficulties you are facing in the wake of your injury and are committed to getting you on the road to recovery.
If you’ve suffered an animal attack and need a competent, caring attorney for your personal injury claim, contact The Advocates law firm today for a free consultation.
The Next Steps In Your Case
Immediately after your accident, check for injuries
Contact The Advocates as soon as possible to begin the road to recovery
Seek medical attention as soon as you can
Keep track of any and all treatment you receive during recovery
Once you've completed treatment, your case can move forward
Your Advocate will send a demand letter to the other party
Frequently Asked Questions
Not every accident requires an attorney. However, if the accident resulted in injuries or significant property damage, it is a good idea to contact a lawyer. An experienced personal injury attorney can help you navigate the claims process, which can be lengthy and complex. Your attorney will build your case, keep track of your medical records, negotiate with insurance companies, and represent you in court if necessary. Studies have shown that accident victims who hire a personal injury lawyer can receive settlements up to 3.5 times larger than if they settled on their own.
The best way to know if you have a case is to speak with an attorney. The Advocates offer free consultations—you can speak with a qualified legal team to understand what your case is worth without paying a dime. Once you have decided to hire an Advocate, we will investigate your accident to firmly establish liability.
Your initial consultation with us is always 100% free. There are never any upfront costs or hidden fees when you hire The Advocates.
Our attorneys work on a contingency basis, which means that our attorney fees are calculated as a percentage of your settlement. You will not pay us unless we win your case, and you receive a settlement.
Every personal injury case is different. There is no one-size-fits-all solution to accident claims. The length of the claims process will depend on the severity of your injuries, the willingness of the other party to settle, the court’s caseload, and more.
In general, personal injury cases can take anywhere from several months to a few years. It’s important to contact an attorney as soon as possible to get your case started. Each state has a statute of limitations for personal injury cases, after which you will lose your right of action.
When you hire The Advocates, we will begin investigating your accident immediately while you finish medical treatment. Once all evidence and medical records have been compiled, your attorney will send a demand letter to the other party’s insurance company. At this point, negotiations will begin.
In many cases, a settlement can be reached during negotiations. If the other party refuses to make a fair offer, you may choose to file a suit. In the litigation phase, your attorney will represent you in court in front of a judge, jury, and/or arbitrator.
A Team of Legal Professionals Assigned to Your Case
For nearly 30 years, The Advocates have helped thousands of personal injury victims receive the compensation and care they deserve after their accidents, and we are prepared to do the same for you.
We can help you:
- Understand the claims process
- Access medical care and other treatment such as physical therapy
- Investigate your accident
- Build your case
- Negotiate with insurance adjusters
Talking to a Professional
- No need to schedule an appointment
- No need to wait for an email response
- Free online consultation
- Talk directly with an attorney
I was in an accident 3 years ago and had a very bad experience with the attorney back then I was in another accident last year and called the advocates mark and his team were amazing changed my view on accident attorneys they kept I'm touch with me every step of the way gave me authority on choices for myself I didn't have to go with what they said I could go against it and they still would have worked with me the same I had choices this time around I would always go with Mark I have even sent friends his way just cause I appreciate all the help and support the whole way threw.
My experience with the advocates was a good one. After being hit by a car on my motorcycle they helped me with a settlement with the insurance company to get the hospital bills paid. They were extremely helpful. They always answered any questions I had with in a day. Every email I sent was always responded to. If you unfortunately has to go through a injury by another person I would recommend them in helping you resolve any debt you have because if that injury. The Advocates were great to work with and help me get this unfortunate event behind me.
Steve and his crew at The Advocates were nothing short for amazing. They took my case after I was rear-ended resulting in neck surgery. Steve and company made sure all of the was taken care of and that I got the maximum compensation possible. I definitely recommend The Advocates
Mr. Brad Johnson, our lawyer; was Awesome! He was very informative, kept us up to date on my case with regular calls. He returned calls back to us within 24 hours or less. Brad Johnson is very courteous, honest, kind, and a pleasure to talk to and work with. There are very few Lawyers out there that could even come close to the high morals that Brad Johnson has and has shown towards us. We need more lawyers like Brad Johnson . If we ever needed a disability lawyer again in the future; it would be Brad Johnson and The Advocates Firm that he works at. We will definitely turn ALL of our family and friends towards this lawyer and firm; in a heartbeat!!!
I want to First say that I am truly thankful for the advocates Law Firm they have been a great service to me through this ordeal and Katie she is a tremendous lawyer someone that I would recommend she fights tooth and nail for her clients and the rest of the team they supported me to the fullest with that being said I would like to say for anyone who is trying to find an attorney to fight their case The Advocates is the way to go.
Montana Dog Bite Accident Statistics
Montana dog attack statistics
- Four people have been killed in dog attacks in Montana since 2017
- It is often assumed that pit bulls, rottweilers, and German Shepherd Dogs are the most aggressive breeds; however, Chihuahuas, cocker spaniels, and terriers also make the list
- More than 300,000 Americans visit the emergency room as victims of dog bites
- Dog bites are particularly dangerous for children and elderly people, who may lack the strength and speed to get away from the dog
When do dog bites often happen?
Any dog has the capability to bite or attack unexpectedly, but certain situations present a much higher risk than others. Dog bites are most likely to happen when:
- A dog is approached by a stranger: Many dogs are uneasy around unfamiliar people. When approaching a dog you don’t know, it’s important to ask the owner of the dog if it is okay to interact with it
- A human breaks up a dog fight: If two or more dogs are fighting, it may feel instinctive to jump in and break it up. However, this puts you at risk of being seriously hurt, even if the dog is one you know. There are safe ways to break up a fight without becoming physically involved
- Aggressive dogs are unsupervised or unrestrained: Dogs without excellent recall training should always be on-leash and under close watch of their owner when in public or around other people and dogs
- Dogs are not properly trained and socialized: Dogs who have not received the socialization they need may learn that barking, lunging, and biting is the way to get out of stressful situations. Dog owners should put plenty of time into training their dogs and exposing them to a variety of environments
Common dog bite injuries
Depending on several factors, dog bite injuries can range from mild to life-threatening. Some common injuries resulting from dog attacks include:
- Punctured skin
- Broken bones
- Eye and face injuries
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Tissue and nerve damage
Montana Dog Laws
Do dogs have to be on leash in public spaces?
There are no state laws regarding the leashing of pets in public spaces; however, most counties, cities, and/or towns have local ordinances regarding the practice:
- Missoula: Dogs must be leashed on all city streets, trails, and parks, with the exception of specific dog parks and trails
- Great Falls: Dogs must be kept on leash or in a securely fenced yard
- Bozeman: Dogs must be on a leash no longer than 6 feet when in public
- Kalispell and Flathead County: Any dog off its owner’s property must be on leash
- Helena and Lewis and Clark County: Dogs must be on leash, in a vehicle, or under voice control of their owner at all times when off of the dog owner’s property
Dog owners are responsible for knowing the local laws and ordinances regarding pet ownership.
Are dog bites covered by insurance?
In most cases, dog bites are covered by the dog owner’s home or rental insurance. Insurance should pay for bite victims’ medical expenses up to the liability limit. After the limit has been reached, the owner of the dog is responsible for additional damages.
When is a dog owner responsible for a dog bite?
In Montana, dog owners are responsible for their dog biting another person under the following circumstances:
- The dog bite occurs on public property
- The dog bite occurs when the victim is lawfully on the owner’s property or other private property (for example, mailmen or invited guests)
Dog owners are typically not responsible for dog bites that occur when the victim is trespassing on private property.
What is the statute of limitations for dog bites?
For any personal injury case, a plaintiff only has a certain amount of time to file their claim. After that time period is up, they lose their right of action. This is referred to as the statute of limitations.
In Montana, the statute of limitations for personal injury cases is 3 years. However, it is a good idea to file your claim much sooner than that. Personal injury cases can take a long time to settle, so it is a good idea to give yourself as much time as possible before the statute of limitations is up. As soon as you think you may have a case, contact a personal injury lawyer so they may begin working on your claim.
When Should I Hire a Montana Dog Bite Attorney?
If you were injured by a vicious dog, you will need to report the incident, seek medical treatment, keep track of your medical records, ensure your bills are paid while waiting for your case to settle, and more. It can be overwhelming to deal with a personal injury claim while experiencing the physical and emotional distress that comes with dog bite injuries.
Additionally, insurance companies can be ruthless and will often do whatever they can to prove you had some responsibility for your injury.
The personal injury attorneys with The Advocates have years of experience negotiating with insurance providers and fighting for our clients’ right to fair compensation under the law. Our legal professionals are standing by to take care of the dog bite claims process for you so that you can focus on feeling better.
We are here to help every step of the way– our number one priority is your peace of mind. Contact us today for a free case evaluation. You deserve a peaceful recovery. You deserve an Advocate.
FREE CASE EVALUATION
- CALL US
- FILL OUT THE FORM BELOW
- CHAT WITH US