Skip to main content

What to Do if Hit by an Unlicensed Driver

If you have the bad luck to be hit by an underage driver, do not despair. Treat the accident as you would any other accident, and let the consequences fall where they may for the young person.

Always Report an Accident with an Underage Driver

Any time you are in an accident, report it to the police. This advice is especially true if you are involved in an accident with an unlicensed or underage driver. The other driver may ask, plead with, or beg you not to contact the authorities about your accident. While you may feel pity for the other driver, protect yourself from undue liability and get your ducks in a row for your insurance claim.

Once you report your accident, a law-enforcement officer should come to the scene. He or she will determine liability, gather insurance information, and deal with the unlicensed or underage driver. Let the police take care of the situation. You do not have to do anything about the other driver or the fact that he or she was breaking the law.

Call Your Insurance Company

You are most likely required by your insurance policy to report any car accidents within 24 hours. If you want your insurance company to cover your claim, you should always comply with these provisions. It does not matter who the other driver involved in the accident is. The procedure is the same regardless of whether the driver is only 15, does not have a valid license, or if another licensed driver was in the vehicle.

Seek Out Medical Attention

The Advocates always recommends that anyone involved in an accident see a medical provider the same day as the accident. You may go to the hospital, to an urgent care facility, or to your primary-care provider depending on the extent of your injuries. The medical assessment taken directly after the accident can become a crucial piece of evidence in any personal injury claim.

Contact a Montana Attorney

If you have been injured in the accident, you should contact an attorney as soon as possible. An experienced personal injury attorney at The Advocates will be able to tell you during your first appointment whether or not you have a good case and what your claim might be worth. Consultations are free, and attorneys are available 24-7 to answer your questions.

Cooperate with Montana Police

If the police want to charge the unlicensed or underage driver with a crime, you may be called to be a witness. Always cooperate with police. Give a statement if asked and always tell the truth.