A Slip and Fall Accident Attorney Can Help Your Case
Slip and fall accidents may seem like minor events, but they can be deceptively dangerous. Many falls lead to serious injuries or fatalities, particularly for those older than 65. Wet floors, uneven paths, and poorly-lit walkways can all create hazards that lead to accidents.
In addition to pain from injuries, you may also be dealing with emotional anguish and lost wages while you recover. It may feel like your life has been flipped upside down.
The personal injury attorneys with The Advocates have been representing slip and fall victims for nearly three decades, and we are ready to help you too. We understand the difficulties you are facing in the wake of your injury and are committed to getting you on the road to recovery.
If you’ve been injured in a fall accident due to a property owner’s negligence, you need a competent, caring attorney for your premises liability claim. Contact The Advocates law firm today for a free consultation.
Immediately after your accident, check for injuries
Contact The Advocates as soon as possible to begin the road to recovery
Seek medical attention as soon as you can
Keep track of any and all treatment you receive during recovery
Once you've completed treatment, your case can move forward
Your Advocate will send a demand letter to the other party
Frequently Asked Questions
Not every accident requires an attorney. However, if the accident resulted in injuries or significant property damage, it is a good idea to contact a lawyer. An experienced personal injury attorney can help you navigate the claims process, which can be lengthy and complex. Your attorney will build your case, keep track of your medical records, negotiate with insurance companies, and represent you in court if necessary. Studies have shown that accident victims who hire a personal injury lawyer can receive settlements up to 3.5 times larger than if they settled on their own.
The best way to know if you have a case is to speak with an attorney. The Advocates offer free consultations—you can speak with a qualified legal team to understand what your case is worth without paying a dime. Once you have decided to hire an Advocate, we will investigate your accident to firmly establish liability.
Your initial consultation with us is always 100% free. There are never any upfront costs or hidden fees when you hire The Advocates.
Our attorneys work on a contingency basis, which means that our attorney fees are calculated as a percentage of your settlement. You will not pay us unless we win your case, and you receive a settlement.
Every personal injury case is different. There is no one-size-fits-all solution to accident claims. The length of the claims process will depend on the severity of your injuries, the willingness of the other party to settle, the court’s caseload, and more.
In general, personal injury cases can take anywhere from several months to a few years. It’s important to contact an attorney as soon as possible to get your case started. Each state has a statute of limitations for personal injury cases, after which you will lose your right of action.
When you hire The Advocates, we will begin investigating your accident immediately while you finish medical treatment. Once all evidence and medical records have been compiled, your attorney will send a demand letter to the other party’s insurance company. At this point, negotiations will begin.
In many cases, a settlement can be reached during negotiations. If the other party refuses to make a fair offer, you may choose to file a suit. In the litigation phase, your attorney will represent you in court in front of a judge, jury, and/or arbitrator.
A Team of Legal Professionals Assigned to Your Case
For nearly 30 years, the slip and fall lawyers with The Advocates have helped thousands of accident victims receive the compensation and care they deserve after their accidents, and we are prepared to do the same for you.
We can help you:
- Understand the claims process
- Investigate your accident
- Build your case
- Negotiate with insurance adjusters
Hable con un profesional
- No es necesario programar una cita
- No es necesario esperar una respuesta por correo electrónico
- Consulta gratuita en línea
- Hablar directamente con un abogado
Tuve un accidente hace 3 años y tuve una muy mala experiencia con el abogado en ese entonces. Tuve otro accidente el año pasado y llamé a Los Advocates. Mark y su equipo fueron increíbles, cambiaron mi opinión sobre los abogados de accidentes, se mantuvieron en contacto conmigo en cada paso del camino y me dieron autoridad para elegir por mí misma. No me obligaron a aceptar lo que ellos decían, podía ir en contra y aun así habrían trabajado conmigo de la misma manera. Esta vez tenía opciones, siempre iría con Mark. Incluso le he enviado varios amigos, porque agradezco toda la ayuda y el apoyo durante todo el proceso.
Mi experiencia con Los Advocates fue muy buena. Después de ser atropellado por un automóvil en mi motocicleta, me ayudaron con el acuerdo con la compañía de seguros para pagar las facturas del hospital. Ellos fueron extremadamente servicial y amables. Siempre respondían mis preguntas en el mismo día o al día siguiente. Cada correo electrónico que envié siempre fue respondido. Si desafortunadamente tiene que sufrir una lesión por parte de otra persona, recomendaría a Los Advocates para que lo ayuden a resolver cualquier deuda que tenga debido a esa lesión. Fue genial trabajar con ellos y me ayudaron a dejar atrás este desafortunado evento.
Steve y su equipo en Los Advocates fueron increíbles. Tomaron mi caso después de que me chocaron por detrás resultando en una operación del cuello. Steve y compañía se aseguraron de que todo estuviera resuelto y de que obtuviera la máxima compensación posible. Definitivamente recomiendo a Los Advocates.
¡El Sr. Brad Johnson, nuestro abogado, fue increíble! Fue muy informativo, nos mantuvo al tanto de mi caso con llamadas periódicas. Nos devolvió las llamadas en 24 horas o menos. Brad Johnson es muy cortés, honesto, amable y es un placer hablar y trabajar con él. Hay muy pocos abogados por ahí que podrían siquiera acercarse a la alta moral que Brad Johnson tiene y ha mostrado hacia nosotros. Necesitamos más abogados como Brad Johnson. Si alguna vez volviéramos a necesitar un abogado de discapacidad en el futuro, será Brad Johnson y la firma de abogados Los Advocates en la que trabaja. ¡Definitivamente les diremos a TODOS nuestros familiares y amigos del abogado Brand Johnson y la firma en un abrir y cerrar de ojos!
Primero quiero decir que estoy realmente agradecido por el bufete de abogados Los Advocates, me han brindado un gran servicio a través de esta terrible experiencia y Katie, es una abogada tremenda, alguien a quien recomendaría que lucha con uñas y dientes por sus clientes y el resto del equipo me apoyó al máximo, dicho esto, me gustaría decir que cualquiera que esté tratando de encontrar un abogado para pelear su caso, Los Advocates son el camino para seguir.
United States Slip and Fall Statistics
Slip, trip, and fall statistics
- One out of five falls causes a serious injury
- Falls are the leading cause of traumatic brain injuries
- Half of all accidental deaths in the home are caused by a fall at ground level
- Women are more likely to be hospitalized for a fall than men
- According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics , 22% of slip and fall accidents resulted in more than 31 days away from work
- Slips, trips, and falls are the most common type of fatal accident in the construction industry, with an average of 380 deaths each year
- The demographic groups with the highest rates of fall accidents are those over 65 years old, people with disabilities, and people who live in rural areas
- 60% of fall-related deaths are people aged 75 or older
- Once a person has been injured from a fall, they are more likely to fall again
When do slip and falls often happen?
A fall can happen just about anywhere, at any time. However, certain circumstances may increase the risk of slips, trips, and falls:
- Slippery floors: When a spill happens in a grocery store, restaurant, or other public space, it should be cleaned up as quickly as possible to prevent slipping. Wet floor signs should be present until the spill is completely cleaned and dried
- Snow and ice: Many states are prone to icy conditions for at least part of the year. A large number of slip and fall accidents happen in the winter
- Broken or missing handrails: The absence of railings on stairways, particularly those that are steep or narrow, can create hazardous conditions
- Uneven surfaces: Sidewalks and parking lots often have tripping hazards in the form of large cracks or potholes
- Obstacles or hazards on walkway: People may trip and fall over objects left in walkways, particularly if they are visually impaired or otherwise disabled
- Damaged flooring: Broken tiles, uneven vinyl planks, or loose carpeting can quickly become a tripping hazard
- Falls from ladders or other equipment: Many workers’ compensation claims are a result of falling while on the job, particularly in the construction, manufacturing, transportation, and mining industries
Common slip and fall injuries
Depending on several factors, slip and fall injuries can range from mild to life-threatening. Some common injuries resulting from fall accidents include:
- Traumatic brain injuries or other head injuries
- Spinal cord, neck, and back injuries
- Broken bones, especially hips
- Sprains and strains, particularly to the wrists, hands, or ankles
Premises Liability Laws
Who is responsible for my slip and fall accident?
Laws regarding negligence vary from state-to-state, but both property owners and guests have certain responsibilities when it comes to preventing accidents. The circumstances surrounding your slip and fall will determine whether negligence caused your accident or not.
If you were injured in a slip and fall accident on someone else’s property, you will need to prove negligence by establishing the following:
- Duty: The property owner was responsible for keeping the area safe for you
- Breach of duty: The property owner failed to keep the area reasonably safe
- Causation: The dangerous conditions on the property caused your injury
- Damages: You suffered damages such as medical expenses, pain and suffering, or even funeral expenses for a loved one due to the property owner’s negligence
In general, property owners are not responsible for injuries sustained by trespassers, or for injuries that were not caused by dangerous conditions on their property.
Are slip and falls covered by insurance?
Many businesses have commercial liability insurance that should cover damages resulting from a slip and fall accident; in fact, many landlords and lenders require business owners to have this coverage.
If your injury happened at another person’s home, their homeowners’ insurance should cover a personal injury lawsuit. Regardless of where your accident occurred, your injuries will only be covered if you can prove negligence on the part of the property owner.
What is the statute of limitations for slip and falls?
For any personal injury case, a plaintiff only has a certain amount of time to file their claim. After that time period is up, they lose their right of action. This is referred to as the statute of limitations. Depending on your state, the statute of limitations for your case might be anywhere from 1-6 years.
Regardless of your state’s laws, it is a good idea to file your claim as soon as possible. Personal injury claims can take a long time to settle, so it is best to give yourself as much time as possible before the statute of limitations is up. As soon as you think you may have a case, contact an accident attorney so they can begin working on your claim.
Why Should I Hire a Slip and Fall Attorney?
Premises liability claims can quickly become complex. Between gathering evidence, proving negligence, and fighting insurance providers, it is easy to feel stressed, confused, or hopeless during the claims process. It helps to have an experienced legal team on your side.
A personal injury lawyer with The Advocates will have your back through the entirety of your claim. We will help you compile evidence from your accident, keep track of your medical records, and negotiate with insurance companies.
The Advocates have years of experience representing accident victims in their premises liability cases. We will do everything in our power to get you a fair settlement offer.
When it comes to your slip and fall claim, our number one priority is protecting your rights while you focus on feeling better. Contact us today for a free case evaluation. You deserve a worry-free recovery. You deserve an Advocate.