Nebraska Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
Pedestrian accidents are often devastating events. Pedestrians are far more vulnerable than motorists in the event of a car accident and therefore frequently experience catastrophic injuries or fatalities.
The Advocates’ personal injury attorneys have been helping accident victims for three decades, and we are here to help you too. We understand the struggles you are facing, and are committed to fighting for your rights so you don’t have to worry.
Frequently Asked Questions
Not every accident requires an attorney. However, if the accident resulted in injuries or significant property damage, it is a good idea to contact a lawyer. An experienced personal injury attorney can help you navigate the claims process, which can be lengthy and complex. Your attorney will build your case, keep track of your medical records, negotiate with insurance companies, and represent you in court if necessary. Studies have shown that accident victims who hire a personal injury lawyer can receive settlements up to 3.5 times larger than if they settled on their own.
The best way to know if you have a case is to speak with an attorney. The Advocates offer free consultations—you can speak with a qualified legal team to understand what your case is worth without paying a dime. Once you have decided to hire an Advocate, we will investigate your accident to firmly establish liability.
Your initial consultation with us is always 100% free. There are never any upfront costs or hidden fees when you hire The Advocates.
Our attorneys work on a contingency basis, which means that our attorney fees are calculated as a percentage of your settlement. You will not pay us unless we win your case, and you receive a settlement.
Every personal injury case is different. There is no one-size-fits-all solution to accident claims. The length of the claims process will depend on the severity of your injuries, the willingness of the other party to settle, the court’s caseload, and more.
In general, personal injury cases can take anywhere from several months to a few years. It’s important to contact an attorney as soon as possible to get your case started. Each state has a statute of limitations for personal injury cases, after which you will lose your right of action.
When you hire The Advocates, we will begin investigating your accident immediately while you finish medical treatment. Once all evidence and medical records have been compiled, your attorney will send a demand letter to the other party’s insurance company. At this point, negotiations will begin.
In many cases, a settlement can be reached during negotiations. If the other party refuses to make a fair offer, you may choose to file a suit. In the litigation phase, your attorney will represent you in court in front of a judge, jury, and/or arbitrator.
A Team of Legal Professionals Assigned to Your Case
For nearly 30 years, The Advocates have helped thousands of personal injury victims receive the compensation and care they deserve after their accidents, and we are prepared to do the same for you.
We can help you:
- Understand the claims process
- Access medical care
- Investigate your accident
- Build your case
- Negotiate with insurance adjusters
- Take your case to court if necessary
Talking to a Professional
- No need to schedule an appointment
- No need to wait for an email response
- Free online consultation
- Talk directly with an attorney
I was in an accident 3 years ago and had a very bad experience with the attorney back then I was in another accident last year and called the advocates mark and his team were amazing changed my view on accident attorneys they kept I'm touch with me every step of the way gave me authority on choices for myself I didn't have to go with what they said I could go against it and they still would have worked with me the same I had choices this time around I would always go with Mark I have even sent friends his way just cause I appreciate all the help and support the whole way threw.
My experience with the advocates was a good one. After being hit by a car on my motorcycle they helped me with a settlement with the insurance company to get the hospital bills paid. They were extremely helpful. They always answered any questions I had with in a day. Every email I sent was always responded to. If you unfortunately has to go through a injury by another person I would recommend them in helping you resolve any debt you have because if that injury. The Advocates were great to work with and help me get this unfortunate event behind me.
Steve and his crew at The Advocates were nothing short for amazing. They took my case after I was rear-ended resulting in neck surgery. Steve and company made sure all of the was taken care of and that I got the maximum compensation possible. I definitely recommend The Advocates
Mr. Brad Johnson, our lawyer; was Awesome! He was very informative, kept us up to date on my case with regular calls. He returned calls back to us within 24 hours or less. Brad Johnson is very courteous, honest, kind, and a pleasure to talk to and work with. There are very few Lawyers out there that could even come close to the high morals that Brad Johnson has and has shown towards us. We need more lawyers like Brad Johnson . If we ever needed a disability lawyer again in the future; it would be Brad Johnson and The Advocates Firm that he works at. We will definitely turn ALL of our family and friends towards this lawyer and firm; in a heartbeat!!!
I want to First say that I am truly thankful for the advocates Law Firm they have been a great service to me through this ordeal and Katie she is a tremendous lawyer someone that I would recommend she fights tooth and nail for her clients and the rest of the team they supported me to the fullest with that being said I would like to say for anyone who is trying to find an attorney to fight their case The Advocates is the way to go.
Nebraska Pedestrian Accident Statistics
Where are pedestrian accidents most likely to occur?
- Most pedestrian accidents occur in urban areas
- Rural roadways away from intersections see more pedestrian deaths because vehicles are more likely to travel at high speeds
- The highest number of pedestrian fatalities each year occur in Omaha and Lincoln
- Pedestrians accidents are more likely to happen in dark conditions than during the daytime or at dusk
Nebraska pedestrian accident statistics
- Male pedestrians are at a higher risk of fatality than female pedestrians
- Although pedestrian injuries have decreased in recent years, fatalities have held steady
- Alcohol is involved for either the driver or pedestrian in nearly half of all fatal pedestrian accidents
- According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, a pedestrian is killed in an accident about every 81 minutes nationwide
Common causes of pedestrian accidents
- Speeding: The faster a motorist is traveling, the less reaction time they give themselves when a hazard becomes present. Speeding also increases the risk of serious injuries or death
- Impaired driving: Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol creates a danger to everyone on the road
- Distracted driving and/or walking: Cell phone use, fiddling with music, and other activities can cause both drivers and pedestrians to become distracted from their surroundings, increasing the risk of an accident
- Failure to yield right-of-way: It’s important to be familiar with the rules of the road whether you are driving or walking
- Poor visibility: Most pedestrian accidents occur in dark or dim conditions. Pedestrians should walk in well-lit areas when possible and wear bright or reflective clothing to keep them safe
- Pedestrians walking unsafely: Pedestrians should use sidewalks when possible and walk against the flow of traffic
- Failure to follow signs and signals: Drivers should always adhere to stop signs and red lights, and pedestrians must follow all pedestrian control signals
Common pedestrian accident injuries
Depending on the severity of the accident, pedestrian injuries can range from mild to life-threatening. It is not uncommon for injured pedestrians to suffer:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Broken bones
- Broken or missing teeth
- Internal organ damage
- Lacerations and bruising
- Scarring and disfigurement
Nebraska Traffic Laws
Where can pedestrians cross the street?
State law requires that drivers yield to pedestrians in the following locations, unless a pedestrian tunnel or overhead pedestrian crossing has been provided:
- At a marked crosswalk
- At an unmarked crosswalk (typically at intersections with a sidewalk on either side)
Pedestrians must yield the right-of-way to motor vehicles when crossing at locations other than a crosswalk or where a pedestrian tunnel or walkway is present.
Local governments may designate areas where pedestrians may not cross the street. It is important to know the laws in any area you plan to walk.
Where should pedestrians walk when there is no sidewalk?
Pedestrians should always use the sidewalk when possible and practicable. When a sidewalk is not present, pedestrians should:
- Walk on the shoulder of the road, as far from the roadway as possible
- Walk against traffic (usually the left side of the road)
- Remain as visible as possible by wearing bright and/or reflective clothing, particularly at night
- Stay alert and aware of surroundings
What is the statute of limitations for a pedestrian accident?
For any personal injury case, a plaintiff only has a certain amount of time to file their claim. After that time period is up, they lose their right of action. This is referred to as the statute of limitations.
In Nebraska, the statute of limitations for personal injury cases is 4 years. However, it is a good idea to file your claim much sooner than that. Personal injury cases can take a long time to settle, so it is a good idea to give yourself as much time as possible before the statute of limitations is up. As soon as you think you may have a case, contact a personal injury lawyer so they may begin working on your claim.
When Should I Hire a Nebraska Pedestrian Attorney?
If you were injured in a pedestrian accident, you likely have a lot on your plate. Medical expenses, painful injuries, property damage, and emotional anguish may leave you feeling like life will never return to normal. Attempting to navigate the claims process on your own while dealing with these difficulties can be stressful and detrimental to your recovery.
The at-fault driver’s insurance company will likely do whatever they can to avoid paying you fairly for your damages. It will likely not be an easy road to obtaining the compensation you deserve after your accident.
The personal injury attorneys with The Advocates have years of experience negotiating with insurance providers and fighting for maximum compensation for our clients. Our legal professionals are standing by to take on your accident claim, so you can focus on feeling better.
We will be here to help throughout your entire recovery. Contact our law office today for a free case evaluation. You deserve a team who will fight for you. You deserve an Advocate.
FREE CASE EVALUATION
- CALL US
- FILL OUT THE FORM BELOW,
- OR CHAT WITH US FOR A FREE CONSULTATION TODAY